Assistant Teacher - Manhasset
Harbor Child Care
Date Posted: 10/25/2023
Location: Manhasset, New York
$16.00 - $18.00 an hour
Job Type: Full-time
Work Arrangement: Onsite
The Assistant Teacher, under the supervision of the Head Teacher and Associate Teacher, is responsible for the planning and execution of a classroom program that takes into account the educational, social development and health needs of the group as well as the individual child. The Asst. Teacher is required to lift and carry children as well as be physically fit to actively participate in age appropriate activities for the class.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in developing a program of developmentally appropriate practices
- Upholds Harbor’s philosophy and policies, i.e. health & safety, nutrition and regulations as stated in the Parent Policy, New Employee Welcome Manual and Employee Handbook.
- Adheres to and understands standards for maintaining a high quality child care setting for families.
- Actively implements age appropriate The Creative Curriculum.
- Respects the confidential nature of all information about parents, children and staff.
- Supports children during transition time.
- Supports and participates in an active outdoor time.
- Brings to the attention of the Head Teacher or Director any difficulties concerning staff or children.
- Responsible for supervision of children
- Supports and actively participates in an active work time.
- Works with Head Teacher and Director concerning children with special needs.
- Record and report children’s daily attendance.
- Adheres to Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) procedures, New York State Office of Children and Family Services (NYSOCFS), and National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) regulations regarding record keeping and reporting.
- Ensures that all incidents/accidents are recorded on the appropriate forms and signed by parent upon pick-up of their child. These forms become part of the child’s file after the parent’s signature is obtained
- Write six week and twice yearly cumulative reports.
- Responsible for planning and arranging classroom equipment and furniture in order to promote optimal program functioning and which represents The Creative Curriculum
- Encourages maximum constructive use of material and equipment.
- Keeps equipment accessible and in good condition.
- Removes damaged or hazardous equipment and reports it to the Head Teacher.
- Fosters positive parent relationships through respecting the confidential nature of all information about parents and children.
- Attends and participates in parent/teacher meetings.
- Provides a forum for ongoing communication – daily notes, phone calls, etc.
- Uses “Contact Notes” for staff and parent concerns.
- Assumes responsibility for discussing his/her professional performance objectively at regularly scheduled supervisor conferences with the Assistant Director or Director using these conferences as a source of information and professional guidance.
- Attends required staff meetings, trainings and workshops
- Attends weekly planning meetings with the Director.
H.S. Diploma or GED.
Experience working with children between the ages of 3 months and 5 years old.
Minimum Education Level: Highschool Graduate or GED
Please submit application by visiting: https://harborchildcare.org/careers/
Currently offering a $1000 Bonus *$500 after 6 months and $500 after 12 months.