High Five Early Childhood Center
Date Posted: 05/15/2023
Location: Woodside, New York
$57,845 - $87,510 a year (Salary is paid by the NYC DOE and follows the DOE salary scale.)
Job Type: Full-time
Work Arrangement: Onsite
General Position Description
The Teacher is responsible for developing a cohesive teaching team between themselves and their teaching assistant, coordinating the curriculum, and managing the day-to-day operational activities of the classroom. Teachers must understand children’s cognitive, social, emotional and physical development in order to ensure a safe and stimulating classroom environment where children are actively engaged and encouraged to succeed. The Teacher must be skilled in communicating with both children and adults in order to meet the needs of the children, effectively guide teacher assistants, and resolve parental concerns.
- Coordinate and implement educational curriculum by developing classroom activities based on developmentally appropriate practices and early learning standards.
- Lead by example; encourage teaching team success through modeling and coaching.
- Plan individual and group age-appropriate activities to actively engage children and encourage social, cognitive and emotional growth.
- Maintain frequent communications with parents through informal discussions, progress reports, and parent-teacher conferences.
- Ensure all center policies and state regulations are met.
- Ensure a healthy classroom environment – including maintaining appropriate hygiene and cleanliness standards and safety and security of children.
- Supervise teacher assistants and classroom volunteers to ensure they are following planned activities, hygiene and safety standards.
- Maintain accurate records, forms and files.
- Maintain personal professional development plan to ensure continuous quality improvement.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required
- Minimum of 2 years of professional child care experience.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and basic computer skills.
- High energy and the ability to work well with others (staff, children, and parents) and to foster a team environment.
- A strong understanding of child development.
- Excellent leadership, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- NYC Teaching Certificate in Early Childhood Education or Early Childhood Special Education preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood or a related field and a commitment to obtain teaching certification within 3 years of employment
Teaching Certificates Accepted:
- Early Childhood (Birth–Grade 2);
- Nursery, Kindergarten and Grades 1–6 (N–6);
- Prekindergarten–Grade 6 (P–6); or
- Students with Disabilities (Birth–Grade 2)*
*Please note that if you hold a Students with Disabilities (Birth - Grade 2) certificate, you are only eligible to teach in a students with disabilities classroom.
If you are not-yet-certified to teach in NY State (and will not be certified by September 1, 2022) you can join 3-K as a Lead Teacher at a NYC Early Education Center (NYCEEC). To qualify, you must:
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood and a commitment to obtain NYS Teaching Certification within 3 years of employment.
- Hold an Associate’s degree with a commitment to obtain NY State Early Childhood teacher certification within seven years of employment.
Minimum Education Level: Bachelor's Degree
Preferred Education Level: NYS Teacher Certification
To apply, email resume to: