The Instructional Support Coach works with leadership to establish and implement a systematic approach to staff training and professional development designed to assist staff in acquiring or increasing the knowledge and skills needed to provide high-quality, comprehensive services within the scope oof their job responsibilities.
● Assist in the development and implementation of ongoing staff training and development
● Collaborate with Education Coordinator to map out professional development needs of 7 ECE sites
● Plan and implement learning experiences for teachers that advance the intellectual and physical
development of children, including but not limited to:
o Improving the readiness of children for school by developing their literacy, phonemic, and print awareness, their understanding and use of language, their understanding and use of increasingly complex and varied vocabulary, their appreciation of books, their understanding of early math and early science, their problem-solving abilities, and their approaches to learning;
● Provide individualized coaching and support for teachers in establishing and maintaining a safe,
healthy learning environment.
● Provide individualized coaching and support for teachers in supporting the social and
emotional development of children.
● Provide individualized coaching and support encouraging the involvement of the families of the children in a Head Start and Early Learn program and supporting the development of relationships between children and their families.
● Implement research-based approaches to professional development for education staff. Areas of focus include:
o Effective curriculum implementation,
o Knowledge of the content in Head Start Early Learning Outcomes Framework: Ages Birth to Five,
o Partnering with families,
o Supporting children with disabilities and their families,
o Providing effective and nurturing adult-child interactions,
o Supporting dual language learners as appropriate,
o Addressing challenging behaviors,
o Preparing children and families for transitions
o Use of data to individualize learning experiences to improve outcomes for all children.
● Implement a research-based, coordinated coaching strategy for education staff that:
o Assesses all education staff to identify strengths, areas of needed support, and which staff would benefit most from intensive coaching.
● Provides opportunities for intensive coaching to those education staff including opportunities to observe and receive feedback and modeling of effective teacher practices directly related to
program performance goals.
● Provide ongoing communication between the coach, program director, education director, and any other relevant staff.
● Use assessment data to drive coaching strategies aligned with program performance goals.
● Develop clearly articulated goals informed by the program’s goals, as well as a process for achieving those goals.
● Supervise the daily operation of program sites in the absence of Education Directors.
● Other tasks as assigned.
● Masters in Early Childhood Education or Special Education preferred.
● New York State Teaching Certification required (B-6, Pre-k, Kindergarten, or special education) preferred.
● Training and experience in adult learning required
● Demonstrated knowledge of Early Learn preferred, but not required.
● Demonstrated knowledge of Head Start Performance Standards required. ● Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
● Excellent organizational ability and interpersonal skills.
● Strong leadership and supervisory training skills.
● Overall flexibility and ability to work under pressure and meet many deadlines. ● Excellent computer skills.