Pre-K For All Lead Teacher
Little Friends School
Date Posted: 11/05/2018
Salary / Wage: Competitive
Location: Jackson Heights, New York
Job Type: Teacher
POSITION : Pre-K for All Lead Teacher
Are you someone who's passionate about working with young people and desires a career that makes a direct impact on the children in the community? Our company is currently hiring Pre-K for All Lead Teachers for school year. We are looking for teachers who are committed to empowering the future generation. Our company aims to provide the highest quality child care, using a project based curriculum in a play based center for children in Queens, NY.
Our company’s mission is grounded in the belief that all children are unique and able to learn. We focus on educating the whole child by nurturing physical, emotional, and cognitive growth along with individual artistic expression. We use an inquisitive and hands-on learning approach where child-initiated and teacher-supported exploration is an essential component to learning. Each classroom is carefully designed to reflect children’s interests and to cultivate positive self-image, independence, and interdependence. Most importantly, our company provides a nurturing environment where we view ourselves as an extension of our students’ families. We strive to help our families and students feel at home while in our school.
SUMMARY OF POSITION: The Pre-K for All Lead Teacher is responsible for educating and nurturing the children in our school. They will also be responsible for creating and maintaining a safe and comfortable environment conducive to the overall development and well-being of children.
- Monday-Friday: 40 hours per week
- 10-month work year
QUALIFICATIONS: The ideal candidate will:
- Hold a valid New York State birth-grade 2; N-6; or Pre-K-6 certification
- Must have or be willing to obtain- infectious disease, mandated reporter, CPR/First Aid, DOE finger printing, and up to date medical.
- Have at least 1 year of successful classroom teaching experience in a Pre-K program, (2 or more years of teaching experience is preferred).
- Familiarity with ECERS, CLASS and The Work Sampling System
- Paid weekly
- 5 PTO days
- Closely follows the DOE calendar closings
- Health care optional
- Flex Spending and Transit Checks optional.
- A minimum of 24 hours of professional development offered each year (assists in maintaining Assistant Teacher certification)
- Furthering education opportunities
Curriculum and daily plan responsibilities:
- Designs, plans and executes classroom curriculum and the daily schedule keeping in mind long range and short term objectives, keeping with the school philosophy, and meeting all NYC DOE and ECERS/CLASS guidelines.
- Maintains daily lesson plans, providing opportunities for individual, small group and whole group learning.
Supervision of Support Staff
- Provides training in various teaching methods to staff, volunteers, and substitutes when in the classroom.
- Helps to develop the teaching and leadership ability of aides or assistants through regular classroom training sessions, modeling and staff meetings.
- Leads a daily team teaching meeting (formal and/or informal) during which the day's experience is reviewed and a weekly meeting, during which the next week's program is planned.
- Maintains a professional and healthy relationship with all support staff and administration.
Communication and Report with parents
- Responsible for involving families in the program through parent meetings, parent notices, individual conferences (formal and informal), and through regularly scheduled parent/child programs.
- Maintains healthy and open relationships with the parents where they are made to feel welcome and where their concerns are addressed and dealt with in a professional manner.
Supervision, report and education of children
- Responsible for creating and facilitating a warm, comfortable and nurturing environment that develops and nurtures the emotional, cognitive and social abilities of all children.
- Remains sensitive and alert to individual and group concerns/needs.
- Responsible for health, wellbeing and safety of children at all times.
- Develops plans for meeting the learning and emotional needs of all children.
- Treats all children equally and fairly.
- Evaluates the children’s progress using The Work Sampling System, the Common Core Standards, and the school readiness goals.
Maintenance of classroom and records
- Ensures that the classroom is kept in a clean and orderly manner that allows for the optimal usage by the children.
- Responsible for setting up the classroom environment with assistant teachers to promote and provide developmentally appropriate activities.
- Keeps daily attendance, mealtime records, and other daily forms up to date and accessible to any and all personnel.
Food Handling and CACFP Guidelines
- Follows all CACFP rules and regulations during mealtime.
Professional Growth and Development
- Attends all professional developments and staff meetings provided by the NYC DOE and by the educational director and executive directors.
- Demonstrates professional growth by attending conferences, workshops, college courses etc.
- Shows signs of growth and an interest in learning new strategies/techniques.
- Attends and participates in school activities and events outside of regular work hours.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Excellent judgment and decision making skills
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with program staff, families and children
- Effective conflict resolution skills with children, families and team members
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a high level of self-motivation and positive energy throughout the work day
- Demonstrated strong classroom management.
- Demonstrated commitment to meeting the needs of a diverse student population.
- Demonstrated track record of being a team player and community minded.
- Demonstrated commitment to own learning.
- Excellent time-management skills and ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated commitment to delivering high quality child care programs.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to changing expectations, due to industry and Association changes.
- Solid understanding of and the ability to assess child development and deliver developmentally appropriate practice.
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills with the ability to demonstrate these skills in face-to-face, telephone, and written formats.
- Proficient computer skills
This position description contains the major responsibilities required to perform this job. These responsibilities may change at any time to meet the needs of our families or the DOE/DOH/Company.
Job Type: Full-time
MA in ECE or Related Field, Certified in Early Childhood (Birth-2nd)
All applicants please contact: Shelley Benvenuti at: SBenvenuti@Kindersproutselc.com; 718-786-4644; 4342 47th Street, Sunnyside, NY 11104. In your email subject please include Pre-K LEAD TEACHER POSITION.