Browse our collection of guides, books, briefs and other publications aimed at providing high quality, thought provoking information
for teachers, families, policy makers and all stakeholders in the field of early childhood.
Classroom Practice & Professional Development
The Pathways Guide to NYC Early Childhood Teacher Certification
There are several pathways to becoming a New York State certified early childhood education teacher.
This booklet is designed to make navigating that process a little simpler.
The Core Body of Knowledge
New York State's Core Competencies for Early Childhood Educators
- Outlines recommended practices for educators and administrators.
- Can be used as a self-assessment or in conjunction with a performance appraisal with a supervisor, coach, or mentor.
- Includes a tool to help you chart your professional goals and career development.
The NYS Early Learning Guidelines
- Lists the developmental milestones children attain between birth and age 5.
- A resource to refer to when you want to know how children develop.
- Provides sample strategies to help you bridge your knowledge of child development to your practice.
Partners in Early Learning
A Companion Piece to The NYS Early Learning Guidelines for Families and Teachers
The more you learn together about a child and how she develops and learns, the better
you can support her. The New York State Early Learning Guidelines (The Guidelines) can
help. Use this document to get started with the Early Learning Guidelines.
The NYS Prekindergarten Foundation for the Common Core
- Provides a framework that focuses on learning and development for the 4 year old child.
- Focuses on the five essential developmental domains.
- Includes a Sample Instructional Unit and Instructional Unit Template.
Connections in Early Learning
A Newsletter for Family Child Care Providers
Produced by our ACS/CUNY Informal Family Child Care project, this periodic newsletter provides information and activities
specifically aimed at the work of family child care providers.
Early Childhood Policy & Research
PDI Policy Brief
The Latest: A New Policy Agenda
The policy brief contains policy recommendations for making positive change in the field of early childhood care and education.
In latest issue, we present an overview of our workforce policy recommendations. This is the first policy brief in a series the series: "Building the Pipeline for a Successful
Early Childhood Workforce in New York."
Learning About the Workforce
A Profile of Early Childhood Educators in New York City's Center- and School-Based Programs
To develop a profile of the workforce, we surveyed directors, teachers, and assistant
teachers in licensed community- and school-based early childhood centers in New
York City serving children birth to five years old
Learning About The Learners
An Examination of Training for Early Care and Education Workers in New York City
A needs assessment conducted by the New York Early Childhood Professional Development Institute.