ELNY Lead Teacher
Kingsbridge Heights Community Center
Date Posted: 02/01/2023
Location: Bronx, New York
$33,000 - $65,000 a year
Job Type: Not specified
Work Arrangement: Not specified
Title: ELNY Lead Teacher
Reports to: ELNY Senior Education Director
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Salary Range: $33k-$65k
Job Scope: The ELNY Lead Teacher is responsible for planning and executing activities and developmentally appropriate learning opportunities in a safe and healthy learning environment. The ELNY Lead Teacher must also be able to plan, carry out activities, maintain the classroom environment and supervise the children. In addition, the Lead Teacher must also supervise Teacher Assistants and Classroom Aides.
Essential Role and Responsibilities:
- Sets up/ maintains an appropriate classroom environment for preschool children.
- Plans and implements a curriculum of developmentally appropriate activities for pre-k children.
- Assesses individual children’s strengths and areas in need of improvement (daily observation notes,formal assessments 3 times yearly) using Teaching Strategies Gold.
- Incorporates parent involvement through monthly class meetings, and parent conferences/home visits twice annually.
- Adapts and incorporates curriculum for children with special needs in coordination with written IEP’s team planning and parental input, as well as referral out for evaluations.
- Attends team meetings monthly.
- Attends regular supervision meetings with supervisors.
- Participates in available training opportunities (in-service, conferences).
- Any other duties as assigned by the Supervisor or Director.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Must be authorized to work for any employer in the US
- Willing to undergo a fingerprints and background checks in accordance with federal, state and local laws
- Must have one of the three education requirements listed below:
- Bachelor’s Degree and State certification. A Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education or a related field of study approved by the Department and valid certification issued by the State Education Department or
- Bachelor’s degree and experience. A bachelor’s degree in early childhood education or related field of study approved by the Department and two years of supervised and documented relevant experience in a pre-school program if currently employed in a permitted childcare program; or
- Study Plan. The person has proposed a plan for meeting the requirements of the two previous bullet points of this subdivision within seven years, and has obtained approval of this plan by an accredited college. A person who is eligible pursuant to a study plan shall submit documentation to the Department indicating proof of enrollment in such college and specifying the time, not to exceed seven years required for completion of the study plan.
- The course of study may include the following study areas: Sociological, Historical, Philosophical Foundations of Education or
- Sociology of Education of History of Education or Philosophy of Education
- Child Development or Child Psychology
- Educational Developmental Psychology or Psychological Foundations of Education
- Instructional Materials and Methods Courses - three courses required, including one
- on the pre-kindergarten or kindergarten level including but not limited to, such courses as
- Teaching of Reading, Teaching of Math, Teaching of Science to Young Children
- Teaching of Music, Teaching of Art, Methods of Teaching Language Arts
- Teaching of Computer Technology to Young Children
- Parent Education and Community Relations or Urban Education or Sociology of the Family or Parent, Child, School.
- To be study plan eligible, a person shall have:
- Associate’s (AA or AS) degree in early children education, practicum included; or
- Ninety or more undergraduate college credits and one year classroom experience teaching children in pre-kindergarten, kindergarten or grades 1-2; or
- Bachelors in any other academic subject and one year classroom experience teaching children up to third grade.
- New York State Teacher Certification B-2 or N-6 a plus
- Bilingual English/Spanish a plus
- Mandated Reporter Certification a plus.
- Experience working with children 3-5 years
- Are you currently enrolled in a Master's Program?
- Do you have previous experience working with children's?
- B-2nd Grade Certificate (Required)
Contact Person: Marlene Brito
Phone Number: 718 884 0700 Ext 1018