Early Childhood Education
YMCA of Greater New York
Date Posted: 11/09/2021
Salary / Wage: Salaried
Location: Manhattan , New York
The Flushing YMCA is seeking a Early Childhood Head Teacher who, under the supervision of the Early Childhood Director, will plan and implement developmentally appropriate curriculum that supports and encourages the social, emotional, cognitive, and physical needs of preschool students. The Early Childhood Head Teacher will work within the framework of the program to carry out its functions, policies, and procedures; including but not limited to: student assessments, work sampling, individualized plans, and parent / family engagement.
This is a full-time temporary position, scheduled to begin mid-February, 2022, and to end in June, 2022.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Plan and implement developmentally appropriate and engaging lessons and activities, including but not limited to, literacy, arts, math, cooking, science, outdoor / indoor recreation, field trips, etc.
- Develop classroom centers, coordinated with the on-going curriculum that respond to children’s.
- Facilitate student assessments and work sampling.
- Guide students in their academic growth.
- Work with parents to promote understanding of the growth and development of their child, through effective communication.
- Encourage parent participation in special events, meetings, and in-class volunteer opportunities.
- Develop effective communication strategies.
- Work as a supportive team member within the Early Childhood Learning Center and the YMCA Branch.
- Supervise Assistant Teachers, Teacher Aides, Early Childhood Specialists, and Volunteers.
- Maintain a clean and safe classroom environment, by reporting and / or removing all potential hazards, and by setting up spaces and materials with a focus on supporting child learning.
- Conduct fire drills and manage emergency procedures, in accordance with the guidelines of the Center and the YMCA of Greater New York.
- Prepare food for children and maintain a family style setting for eating, conducive to language, cognitive and social development, as well as the development of healthy habits.
- Maintain accurate program documentation; including but not limited to incident / accident / behavior reports, attendance sheets, sign-in / sign-out sheets, development / growth forms; document eating and sleeping, parent surveys, etc.
- Maintain equipment, storage, and supply inventory.
- Support the Center and Branch with Open Houses, Annual Campaign events and serve as Manager on Duty, as needed.
- Ensure that all YMCA of Greater New York, Department of Health, and Department of Education (if applicable) guidelines are followed.
- Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings, and special events.
- Other activities and duties that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Follow and maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
- Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education or related field and State certification, or NYSED approved certification; or Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education and 5 years of experience.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience working with young children in a group setting.
- New York State Teaching certification.
- New York State Pre-K Foundation for the Common Core.
- Knowledge of child development and developmentally appropriate practices.
- Bilingual in English & Korean or Mandarin, preferred.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
** New Requirement**
All potential YMCA of Greater New York employees are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Please use the “Additional Attachment” section on the online application to upload your proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities