Special Education Teacher
Elizabeth Seton Children's School
Date Posted: 10/05/2021
Salary / Wage: Yearly
Location: White Plains, New York
This is a salaried exempt managerial position that has discretion to make decisions and has access to confidential employee and business information. Demonstrate instructional and team leadership skills based on New York State Teaching and Learning Standards, Common Core and knowledge of Early Childhood Special Education. Responsible to design and implement an effective curriculum for assigned group of children (toddlers, preschool and/or school age) that is evidence-based and will facilitate their progress toward reaching IEP and/or IFSP goals. Work collaboratively with parents, related service providers and other multidisciplinary team members to assess and revise instructional strategies on a regular basis to ensure positive student outcomes. Directly responsible for the general supervision of teacher assistants, teacher aides, volunteers and others assigned to their classroom.
Promotes Elizabeth Seton Children’s Mission and Core Values of Respecting and Embracing Diversity, Excellence, Collaboration, Innovation, Evolution, Growth and Change and Loving Relationships by bringing these values to life in the organization.
- Demonstrate knowledge of NYS Learning Standards and Common Core through the development and implementation of weekly lesson plans that reflect evidence-based practices, address the individual goals of students and strengthen the continuity of learning experiences between home and school
- Create an organized classroom to ensure a safe and educationally challenging learning environment that includes utilizing concepts of universal design; select and arrange appropriate materials and ensure that equipment is in good repair, etc.
- Supervise directly all teacher assistants and teacher aides to: ensure all students experience appropriate and successful learning opportunities; utilize their special skills and abilities to promote positive instructional programs; delegate responsibilities to meet the children’s daily health and management needs; assign other functions according to their certification to ensure the implementation of daily schedules
- Collaborate with classroom team to design lesson plans based on effective practices in child development and utilize current evidence-based practices to monitor progress and ensure positive student outcomes
- Responsible to ensure that all policies and procedures are successfully implemented by assigned team members
- Utilize resources of supervisory and administrative staff to: discuss any staff and family issues; share concerns and make recommendations regarding policies and procedures that would improve quality of services for students and families
- Use professional and independent judgment to write accurate and timely evaluations, quarterly progress reports and draft IEP/ISFP documents in accordance with all regulations
- Interview job applicants and make effective recommendations on hiring; write and conduct annual performance reviews for teacher assistants and teacher aides; use independent judgment to prepare written reports that may lead to promotion or disciplinary action
- Demonstrate ability to present written and or verbal information at staff conferences, school district and other meetings in a professional manner that clearly conveys the needs and strengths of each child in a positive and meaningful way
- Actively participate in the creation and implementation of an individual and school wide Professional Development Plan that inspires personal growth, informs teaching practices and promotes understanding of the NYS Teaching Standards
- Perform other tasks to support the operations of the school as assigned by Administration
- Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in Special Education
- Minimum of one year teaching experience with special needs children in an early childhood and/or special education setting as or
- Minimum two years as a Teacher Assistant
- New York State Provisional or Permanent Certification in Special Education
Apply Following this link: