The Day Care Council of New York (DCCNY) is a membership organization consisting of non-profit sponsoring boards that operate more than 200 publicly-funded early childhood education centers and family child care programs in New York City. The organization is made up of a diverse membership of childcare and family service providers. The Day Care Council is committed to supporting its members’ programs and services designed to promote the growth and development of children and their families necessary for a healthy society.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director serves as the Chief Executive Officer of the Day Care Council of New York (DCCNY) as well as the primary spokesperson and advocate for its mission and members. Under the supervision of the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for planning, implementing and supervising all programs and activities of the Council. This includes supervision of Council staff as well as the provision of guidance to day care boards and program directors in the supervision and administration of their own programs. The Executive Director is also responsible for identifying areas of unmet program needs for new proposal development, and represents the Council publicly in a variety of forums for the expression of positions endorsed by the board as policy.
The Executive Director of the DCCNY maintains a leadership role and leadership responsibilities representing the needs and the safety of NYC children and the teachers and organizations that provide those needs; including but not limited to their health, safety & education in NYC and by extension NYS. The ED will develop/maintain relationships with its members, elected officials and community leaders, generate new sources of revenue in support of DCCNY’s goals and commitments, and expand the reach of new and existing programming. The ED will work closely with diverse stakeholders to develop and maintain collaborations for programming, funding, and advocacy.
The ideal candidate should be an inspiring & results-driven leader with expertise in Early Childhood Education, a passion for DCCNY’s mission and knowledge of New York City’s educational civic landscape.
Board Governance: Works closely with the Board of Directors in order to fulfill the organization’s mission
● Responsible for leading DCCNY in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors;
● Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
● Report to the Board and general membership on all Council activities and plans, as well as regular and timely assessment of the Councils’ financial position and needs;
● Seek advice and approval from the Board of directors on unmet program needs and new policies needed to procure funds and implement new programs;
● Serve on all Board Committees as ex officio or designate an appropriate staff representative.
Financial Performance, Fundraising and Viability: Develops existing and new resources sufficient to ensure the continued financial health of the organization
● Responsible for identifying and pursuing/overseeing fundraising opportunities, grant proposals and developing other tools and resources necessary to support DCCNY’s operations and mission;
● Responsible for assisting with the fiscal integrity of DCCNY, to include working in collaboration with the Treasurer of the board. This position assists with the submission to the Board a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial state of the organization;
● Responsible for assisting with the fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with the Board to guide the organization and ensure that its mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach
● Responsible for oversight of DCCNY’s Program Directors, ensuring the stability and/or growth of programs in keeping with the mission, vision and programmatic priorities;
● Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that DCCNY can successfully fulfill its mission into the future.
● Responsible for assisting the Board with establishing and maintaining relationships with its members and collaborative organizations, being active and visible in the community, and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations to strategically enhance DCCNY’s mission;
● Responsible for taking the lead in collaborating with municipal partners, to gain a deeper understanding of each community’s strengths and needs, with the goal of identifying where DCCNY can play a significant role in offering greater access to environmental benefits.
● Represent the Council and daycare interests on governmental advisory councils;
● Provide expert testimony and interpretation to governmental representatives, program advocates, and operators and the general public as best practice standards of child care programming as well as sound administrative practice in such programs
Organization Operations: Works with and oversees the operations and business development of the organization to ensure that resources and business opportunities are maximized.
● Responsible for development and oversight of the operating plan;
● Oversight of programs, staff, and general business development;
● Responsible for preparing and presenting monthly reports to the Board on the organization’s activities and progress in achieving its mission and reaching its financial objectives.
● Ability to promote and sustain a positive work culture among a diverse staff, to encourage teamwork and collaboration, to manage conflict, and to inspire and motivate;
● Proven managerial, fiscal, problem solving and strategic planning ability and demonstrated leadership ability;
● Proven ability to build and foster internal and external relationships with people from various cultural and socio-economic backgrounds;
● Previous experience in the early childhood/early education field is required;
● Knowledgeable and understanding of New York City Education and NYC Social Services/Human Services sector;
● Experience with organized labor and labor negotiations
● A working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field to enhance the effectiveness of the Council;
● Deep commitment to DCCNY’s mission combined with empathy for the people we serve;
● Deep passion for human rights, social justice, empathy, inclusion, and diversity;
● Experience working with an organization serving a diverse population;
● Familiarity with the business model of a professional membership association;
● History of effective program planning and the ability to plan and implement a strategic vision;
● Minimum of 10 years of work experience in related non-profit, with at least five years in a supervisory capacity and senior leadership role;
● Demonstrated ability to interact professionally with dedicated Board and staff members who have diverse professional skills and perspectives.
Financial Performance and Viability:
● Strong financial acumen and budget management experience including an understanding of non-profit financial management and performance metrics;
● Demonstrated success in creating effective development systems that engage individual donors, foundations, corporations, and governments and the ability to secure revenue and financial support from new and diverse sources including potential partnerships;
● Experience managing and reporting on government contracts;
● Familiarity with revenue systems and opportunities inherent in membership associations;
● A history of engaging all internal stakeholders, including staff and board in fundraising.
Organization Strategy and Program Operations:
● Expertise in the planning, coordination, and delivery of a variety of programs designed to provide technical assistance, professional consultation, and direct service to member daycare programs;
● Appreciation of the role of research and the use of data to inform and support effective decision-making across members and stakeholders;
● Supervise and coordinate the management (or organization’s) position in all labor relations, in consultation with member programs and Council’s attorneys. Supervise Council’s in house Mediation Service
● Experience developing a strong community presence while representing quality daycare interests in a variety of forums;
● Excellent communication skills with the ability to write and speak about the organization’s work with passion and conviction to a variety of diverse constituents and stakeholders in the public and private sectors;
● Experience building and expanding an organization’s public image through formal marketing and communications efforts;
● Knowledge and understanding of local NYC government and NYS government;
● Politically astute with an understanding of advocacy, and public policy work on the local, state, and national level;
● The ability to establish and expand partnerships and promote community collaboration.
● Proven ability to build a strong team including actively promoting staff growth and development opportunities;
● Demonstrated success in effective recruitment, hiring, and supervision of senior management staff;
● Experience monitoring the quality and fulfillment of all program goals by staff including conducting annual performance and compensation reviews.
● Experience using innovative technologies to advance an organization’s strategy, mission, and success;
● Proficient knowledge of office productivity tools.
● Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in one of the following areas preferred: Early Childhood Education, Education, Human Services, Public Policy, or related field.
Applicants should reply with a resume and cover letter that references their experience in relation to the qualifications listed in the job description. No phone inquiries will be accepted. All inquiries and resumes should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Location & Commitment Expectations
This job is a full-time position located in New York City.
The Council provides equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment in accordance with all applicable equal employment opportunity affirmative action laws, directives, and regulations of federal, state, and local governing bodies or agencies thereof. DCCNY will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, physical disability, age, or marital status.
Visit the Day Care Council of New York’s website at https://www.dccnyinc.org/ to learn more.