Guitar Instructor (Prospect Park YMCA)
YMCA of Greater New York
Date Posted: 02/06/2020
Salary / Wage: $25.00 P/H
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Job Type: Other
SALARY: $25.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The YMCA of Greater New York is seeking a Guitar Instructor who, under the supervision of the Arts & Culture Director, will play a critical role in providing academic enhancement and enrichment in the Y program. The incumbent will be responsible for providing a safe and positive environment for children, to provide opportunities for learning, interaction, and academic/ personal growth. Specifically, the Guitar Instructor will prepare and provide age-appropriate music instruction.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants in the program by providing appropriate supervision at all times.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all participants.
- Plan and implement meaningful activities and special events that are age-appropriate, exciting, challenging, and values based in the area of music.
- Teach participants the fundamentals of instruments, including activities that build their level of skill and confidence.
- Coordinate and present a culminating performance at the end of the program cycle, if applicable.
- Work cooperatively with professional staff, teachers, and other program and school staff.
- Create and maintain a strength-based, youth-focused atmosphere that is consistent and sensitive to the needs of participants with learning, emotional, or behavioral differences.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (attendance, sign in/out forms, behavior reports, incident reports, and accident reports, as appropriate).
- Serve as a positive role model for participants.
- Work with the Arts & Culture Director to secure and maintain all equipment or supplies needed.
- Understand and communicate the YMCA’s core values and the goals of the Community School Program to participants and care givers.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with parents and guardians through regular communication about their child’s strengths and areas of growth.
- Prepare the learning environment, lessons, and necessary supplies for Zumba activities.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations, and regulations.
- Actively participate in the training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
- High School diploma or equivalent required; College credits and formal education in Arts preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working with youth, specifically in the area of music.
- Knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint; Access, Adobe PageMaker and Photoshop preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Activity Specialist – Guitar Instructor” to email@example.com or to:
Prospect Park YMCA
Attn: Denise Francis
357 Ninth Street
Brooklyn, NY 11215
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities
YMCA OF GREATER NEW YORK | Where there's a Y, there’s a way.