The certified Group Teacher must meet the requirements set by Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (DOH) and East Harlem Block Nursery, Inc. (EHBN). Teachers promote Early Childhood Education for children and families both in and out of the classroom by providing sound supervision, developmentally appropriate lessons, and community outings and ensuring the health and safety of all children.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Under the supervision of the Education Director, the Group Teacher must develop and maintain positive parent relations and continuously encourage parental involvement and the professional growth of classroom associates. In addition, the Group Teacher is responsible for the following:
- Planning and implementing developmentally appropriate lesson plans
- Working with classroom team to provide stimulating environment and activities
- Encouraging parent involvement
- Setting individual goals and record anecdotal observations for each child
- Conducting parent/teacher conferences
- Keeping room clean
- Helping with diaper changing and toileting
- Conducting and documenting observations, assessments and complete all necessary paperwork
- Attending staff meetings
- Seeking out professional development opportunities to meet the needs of the classroom
- Perform other required duties, as assigned, consistent with the above.
1) BA in Early Childhood Education and State certification OR
2) A BA in Early Childhood Education or a related filed and a valid certification issued by DOE and 2 years of supervised and documented relevant experience in a pre-school program OR
3) Be on an approved study plan, as stipulated in Article 47.13.3
PREFERRED ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS: 3+ years of teaching experience preferred; bilingual in Spanish and/or French.
Must be computer literate.
Must be able to effectively prioritize to manage multiple assignments with simultaneous deadlines.
In addition, the ideal candidate will demonstrate the following: Ability to remain calm in difficult and/or stressful situations; working knowledge of early childhood development and appropriate practices; patience and warmth towards young children; ability to work well with others; outgoing personality; ability to create and maintain positive relationship with children, parents and staff.
Please submit resumes with a cover letter to Dian@ehbn.org. Please include your desired minimum
salary requirements in your cover letter.