Preschool Head Group Teacher
Cross Island YMCA
Date Posted: 11/27/2019
Salary / Wage:
Location: Bellerose, New York
Job Type: Teacher
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Cross Island YMCA is seeking an experienced individual who will provide leadership for strategy, systems, supervision and structure of the Early Childhood program, including but not limited to, development, administration and evaluation of programs. The Early Childhood / Education Director is responsible for growing enrollment and the program portfolio to serve more children via structured, engaging, educational, recreational, and developmentally appropriate activities. The incumbent will ensure a high level of quality, communication, and collaboration within the Early Childhood programs. The Early Childhood / Education Director also supports family and community programs, and sits on Branch and community committees, as needed.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all staff and participant, and promote a positive environment.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants, by understanding, maintaining and ensuring that staff and participants follow Risk Management and safety procedures.
- Recruit, train, supervise and evaluate program staff and volunteers. Ensure that staff receive appropriate training that is consistent with professional goals and maintain certifications.
- Maintain accurate and timely program documentation (incident / accident / behavior reports, attendance and sign-in / sign-out sheets).
- Report all incidents, in accordance with the YMCA’s policies and procedures.
- Successfully maintain and continue to improve the quality of all UPK, Early Learning, and Early Childhood after school programming, and Early Childhood enrichment programs.
- Plan and create new and innovate Early Learner, youth, family, and community programs that meet the needs of the community, in keeping with the Branch priority objectives.
- Work with Branch and Association Office leadership to design, develop, and implement a marketing and communication plan which promotes the UPK, Early Learner Programs, and Early Childhood after school programming, and Early Childhood enrichment programs to local community groups.
- Conduct annual staff and participant evaluation, using results to improve programming and maintain consistent quality.
- Ensures that all contractual and regulatory obligations of the Department of Education and Department of Health are met while fulfilling the program mandates of the YMCA of Greater New York and funders.
- Develop, track and manage departmental and government contract budget, in accordance with Branch, Association and regulatory compliance.
- Represent the Branch at Early Childhood Cabinet meetings.
- Become an active member of all Youth & Family related committees at the Branch level.
- Act as liaison with other community organizations and coalitions, and partner appropriately to provide services, programs and referral to participants and families.
- Become a certified trainer in two youth areas and lead training events.
- Other duties as assigned including classroom teaching responsibilities as the program dictates
- Actively participate in all training sessions, and designated meetings and special events.
- Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education, or related field; Master’s degree preferred.
- NYS Teaching Certification (N - 6) and birth to 2, or Department of Health approved study plan.
- Minimum of two years of experience in youth development from early childhood to school age.
- Knowledge of development, supervision, and implementation of youth programs, curriculum development, and staff supervision.
- Knowledge of principles and practices related to Early Childhood education and socioemotional growth.
- Knowledge of Windows based computer applications and database management.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Excel and working knowledge of Microsoft Suite.
- Strong and polished interpersonal, written and oral communication skills that facilitate achievement of desired results.
- Demonstrated commitment to Early Childhood education and enrichment.
- Bi-lingual English and another language commonly spoken in our community preferred.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity.
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Director, Early Childhood” to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:
Cross Island YMCA
Attn: La-Vena Francis
238-10 Hillside Avenue
Bellerose, NY 11426