Maternity Leave Replacement for Pre-K Director
DREAM Charter School
Date Posted: 11/04/2019
Salary / Wage:
Location: NEW YORK, New York
Job Type: Leadership / Director
DREAM Charter School is a part of DREAM (formerly known as DREAM Charter School and Harlem RBI), an innovative educational and youth development organization serving over 2,500 East Harlem and South Bronx youth by providing free, high-quality summer and after-school programs to youth ages 5-22 years in an intensive multi-year commitment that connects youth and families to age-appropriate programs and passionate professional staff over time.
DREAM Charter School is seeking a dynamic and innovative individual to serve as interim Pre-Kindergarten Director while the current director is on maternity leave (anticipated Mid February to Beginning of June). Reporting to the Managing Director of Schools, the Pre-K Director will be responsible for collaborating with school administrators and teachers to oversee execution of DREAM Charter School’s Pre-Kindergarten program.
The interim Pre-K Director will be responsible for providing innovative strategic and instructional leadership for the Pre-K team and overseeing day-to-day management of the Pre-K and its culture. The interim Pre-K Director will also be tasked with using achievement data and outcomes measurements to inform practice and demonstrate success. The successful candidate will be an instructional leader who has experience working in an early childhood environment and who embraces DREAM’s core values; all with the overarching goal of ensuring high standards of achievement for all students.
Learning and Teaching:
- Oversee the High Quality Pre-K Program:
- Ensure DREAM’s Pre-K program enables all students to be prepared for DREAM’s academically rigorous Kindergarten program;
- Coach, develop, and retain a team of teachers and support staff;
- Support the instruction of the Every Child Ready and RULER curricula that is aligned with the PKFCC;
- Ensure strategic management of the Pre-Kindergarten, including: Regular school review, including analysis of student achievement data;
- Regular reporting to the Managing Director of Schools
- Utilize ethical and motivational leadership appropriate to the cultural and political context in which the school operates;
- Meet with members of the DREAM Team including the Director of Special Education, the Family and Community Engagement Manager, the Data Team, and the Director of Math
- Accompany students to weekly yoga instruction;
- assist with recess coverage when necessary
- Lead Pre-K Family EventsParticipate as a member of DREAM’s School Leadership Team
- Collaborate and work with building council members in the shared space of the Pre-K Location
- Learning and Teaching:
- Lead the on-going improvement of teaching through a variety of strategies, including: Lesson observations and feedback; Regular use of data; Collaborative planning and inquiry;
- Planning weekly professional development for staff on Friday afternoons;
- Coaching and mentoring pre-k staff (one-on-one and co-teaching team meetings);
- Ensure high levels of student achievement and learning through developmentally appropriate instruction, data-tracking, and engaging classes;
- Systematically use formative assessment data to guide learning support and drive instruction, curriculum, and professional development through the use of authentic assessment (Pearson Work Sampling System);
- Build strong and responsive special education programming to ensure success in school for students with special needs, including compliance with special education laws;
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree in Early Childhood Education preferred;
- Understanding of and commitment to the mission, goals, educational philosophy and program of DREAM Charter School, as described in the school’s charter;
- 5+ years of early childhood or early elementary classroom experience required;
- Experience in an urban setting highly preferred;
- Proven school leader or teacher with significant grade-level leadership experience, required;
- Evidence in achieving impressive academic gains, either as a teacher or a teacher-leader;
- Skilled facility in analyzing student data (Work Sampling Knowledge a plus);
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with faculty, staff, peers and parents;
- Proven experience coaching and leading a team of educators.
Interested candidates can apply through DREAM's website wearedream.org.