Career Advisor - Early Childhood, Part Time
NY Early Childhood Professional Development Institute
Date Posted: 06/26/2019
Salary / Wage: $65/hour, 10-19 hours/week
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Job Type: Other
All young children in New York should have access to the highest quality services across sectors, locations, and professions. The New York Early Childhood Professional Development Institute, housed at the City University of New York, is a fast-paced, dynamic public/private partnership that exists to drive the excellence of services designed for young children through research, policy, and practice.
The Career Advisor is a member of the Institute’s Career Development Services team. The Career Advisor is responsible for supporting individuals at various stages of their career in Early Childhood Education. S/he will also assist students with general academic guidance and career supports, including job search skills. The Career Advisor will report to the Director of Career Development and should be available to work evenings and weekends to support early childhood educators.
- Collaborate in the implementation, coordination and delivery of career development services; including career exploration, teacher certification, test preparation, academic advising and job searching
- Meet individually and in small groups with current and aspiring early childhood professionals in support of developing and meeting their career goals
- Track and maintain data on interactions and outcomes for contributions to program reports
- Make presentations to small groups about early childhood career development periodically
- Provide dynamic and collaborative direction to the development and piloting of new initiatives as they become appropriate for inclusion in the project’s work.
- Attend staff meetings and trainings as required.
- Perform special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree in Early Childhood Education or a relevant field of study
- 3+ years of experience helping professionals build teaching careers through mentoring, training, staff development, coaching, career counseling, etc.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Demonstrated ability to work with underserved populations and people of all ages
- Ability to develop and sustain successful collaborative partnerships
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Familiarity with the structure and dynamics of Higher Education and the NYS teacher certification process
- Availability during evening and weekend hours
- This position operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, laptops, tablets, smart phone, photocopiers, filing cabinets and other presentation materials
- While performing these duties, the employee is required to perform physical activities such as, but not limited to, lifting items (up to 20 pounds), bending, reaching, sitting for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to travel to other sites as needed.
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people of all race, color, religion, gender, gender identities or expressions, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disabilities, age, or protected veteran status to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. CUNY is an EEO/AA Employer.