South Bronx Rising Together (SBRT) is a collective impact initiative that organizes community stakeholders toward ensuring all children in Bronx Community District 3 are on a pathway to college and career success.
SBRT is seeking a Community Organizer to outreach, engage, and mobilize parents, caregivers, and other early childhood stakeholders into our Early Learning System projects, activities, and governance structures. This includes efforts to organize existing networks of parents and advocates, as well as outreach and engagement strategies for families and constituencies from hard-to-reach populations that face systemic barriers. The SBRT Community Organizer will lead and execute SBRT’s early childhood community engagement strategy for Bronx Community District 3.
● Create relationships and build trust with parents in CD3, especially those with young children under the age of 3
● Support the planning, facilitation, and execution of parent/family focus groups, one-on-one interviews, and other forms of engagement
● Plan outreach strategies and lead the execution of recruitment activities for the SBRT Parent Council
● Create and manage all outreach and engagement directories and lists for the Early Years Roundtable, including member lists, contact information, outreach logs, event sign-in sheets
● Attend events on early childhood education, childcare, school readiness, and other topics relevant to children ages 0 to 3 and their families
● Plan and execute outreach activities for SBRT’s Early Years Roundtable, including but not limited to door-knocking, phone-banking, surveying, flyer distribution, etc.
● Design and distribute community and family-facing outreach materials for the Early Learning System, such as flyers, pamphlets, and other relevant handouts
● Create and manage recruitment and engagement tools for the SBRT Early Years Network, including digital and grassroots strategies
● Support the planning of, and provide facilitation at, SBRT Parent Council meetings and relevant events
● Collaborate with other Early Learning System and Preschool Readiness staff members in the design and plan of SBRT’s overall strategy and planning for children ages 0 to 5
● Coordinate and liaise with other organizing and outreach staff at Children’s Aid and Phipps Neighborhoods (the backbone agencies for SBRT), such as Parent Coordinators, Family Advocates, and others
● Cultivate and manage strategic relationships with relevant stakeholders
● Represent SBRT at community events throughout Bronx Community District 3
● Other duties as assigned
● 5+ years of relevant experience in community organizing, early childhood education, or other related fields; Bachelor’s Degree preferred
● Knowledge and/or experience with early childhood landscape and current strengths and challenges is strongly preferred
● Highly motivated self-starter
● Ability to regularly work nights and weekends
● Ability to work in diverse communities with people from various backgrounds
● Knowledgeable, from research and work experience, about Bronx families and neighborhoods
● Excellent meeting, facilitation, and project management skills, including clear and concise verbal and written communications
● Adept interpersonal skills, focusing on building relationships and resolving conflict
● Familiarity with Results-Based Accountability frameworks preferred
● Technologically proficient, especially in presenting data, project management software (like Asana, Slack, and Google Suite products) and project deliverables
● Flexibility to respond to emerging needs
● Fluency in Spanish is required
Please apply on the Children's Aid website.
Fluency in Spanish is required for this position.