Specialty Instructor (Prospect Park YMCA)
YMCA of Greater New York
Date Posted: 04/15/2019
Salary / Wage: $25.00 P/H
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Job Type: Other
SALARY: $25.00 P/H
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Prospect Park YMCA is seeking a Specialty Instructor who will develop and lead engaging classes for young children. The incumbent will introduce creativity, learning and the principles of art/science/story time through using a myriad of materials, aligned with the talent and specialty of the instructor.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Must be able to teach children in an engaging, safe, and responsive manner.
- Educate on different topics, and incorporate traditional techniques as well as other activities.
- Plan and teach engaging, lively and educational classes.
- Set up room and return equipment used for the class.
- Plan with the Director to order and maintain all equipment or supplies needed for class.
- Develop, with the Director, a curriculum of age appropriate activities and themes for class.
- Lead all children through a creative and imaginative process, team building skills and confidence.
- Meet and relate with participants and parents in a friendly, helpful way.
- Provide supervisor with lesson plans on a monthly schedule.
- Takes attendance weekly and turns in attendance sheets.
- Teach class to full capacity (at least 8 participants) and support enrollment and class participation through outreach/recruitment.
- Work with Co-workers and Director to provide the best support for their weekly themes and events.
- Open to additional projects and tasks as needed.
- Conform the YMCA’s standards, guidelines and mission.
- Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
- High School diploma or equivalent. Degree in Art, Art Education, Youth Development or related field preferred.
- Minimum of two years working with youth/children.
- Experience working with youth and/or early childhood, including knowledge of age appropriate activities with youth development framework.
- Knowledge of early childhood/youth practices.
- Content expert in designated talent and specialty.
- Creativity, accountability, and flexibility is a must.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Current First Aid / CPR certifications.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity. If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Specialty Instructor” to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:
Prospect Park YMCA
Attn: Denise Francis
357 Ninth Street
Brooklyn, NY 11215
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities
New York City’s YMCA | WHERE THERE'S A Y, THERE'S A WAY