The successful candidate for the position of Academic Internship Specialist/ Clinical Placement, Office of Clinical Experience will arrange and oversee field placements for undergraduate and graduate teacher education students. The successful candidate should have extensive knowledge and a thorough understanding of the New York City public school system and be able to successfully support field placements that prepare teacher candidates to serve the needs of the diverse, urban student population. Hunter College is looking for candidates with skills across developmental levels (birth to three, pre-kindgarten, primary) and learning communities (general education, special education, English language learners, etc.)
Follow this link for more details.
This position reports to the Dir. of Clinical Experience. In addition to the CUNY TItle Overview, the Specialist will:
• Working with faculty and the Office of Clinical Experience, identify and place student teachers in clinical placements across New York City; assess the effectiveness of current field placements and determine future placement needs; collaborate with faculty and OCE leadership, identify sites and mentors for future placements; verify practicum sites meet programmatic requirements; monitor adherence of programs to New York State certification guidelines for field experience and student teaching/practicum.
• Communicate regularly with program personnel, program administrators, and cooperating teachers to support and maintain relationships that lead to quality field experiences for pre-service early childhood and early childhood special education candidates; travel to school partner sites; plan for future placement needs with partner sites; coordinate and facilitate to orientation sessions for cooperating teachers to outline their role in the preparation of pre-service teachers; manage information sharing and support for the placement and mentorship provided to student teachers and practicum candidates in the clinical placement.
• Organize and facilitate orientation sessions for student teacher and practicum candidates with faculty to inform them of the field requirements and field placements; advise teacher candidates, individually and as a whole, on an ongoing basis of field and student teaching/practicum requirements – troubleshooting individual cases as necessary; contribute to a wide-variety of professional development workshops and support services for student teacher and practicum candidates, both at Hunter College and the school sites.
• With the OCE, develop and update written guides and other materials on field requirements for candidates, faculty, and public school personnel; maintain administrative files and records of clinical experiences, and coordinate other projects as needed.
• Collaborate with faculty to organize field supervision; assign field supervisors to teacher candidates; collaborate with faculty to facilitate supervisor trainings and workshops.
• Maintain a database of candidates’ placements and experiences for individual candidate and programmatic decision making.
• Work with programs for continuous quality improvement of clinical placement processes, including application, placement, and evaluation.
Bachelor’s degree and four years related experience required; Master’s degree in education or related area strongly preferred.
Experience with teacher preparation and licensing programs, in-school teacher preparation or professional development, and/or teaching or administration experience in a school or community-based setting required. Experience in many of these areas in New York City schools strongly preferred.
Go to the Job Ad and click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the application instructions. Please have your curriculum vitae/ resume and scholarly interest or cover letter with names and contact information of 3 references available to attach into the application before you begin. Please note that the required material must be uploaded as ONE document. The document must be in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format- and name of file should not exceed ten (10) characters. Incomplete application packages will not be considered.