Children's Aid (Harlem)
Date Posted: 09/13/2018
Salary / Wage: $56,500
Location: New York, New York
Job Type: Other
Position Summary: The Children’s Aid Society (CAS), established in 1853, is one of New York City’s leading child and family service organizations. Today the CAS Early Childhood Department serves nearly 1000 low-income children ages 0-5 in schools and community centers across 12 sites throughout Manhattan, the Bronx, and Staten Island through a combination of Universal Preschool, Head Start and Early Head Start funding and child care subsidies. The mission of the Early Childhood Department is to prepare young children for kindergarten. The Education Director will be responsible for and manage all of the educational components at his or her site. The Education Director will report to the Program/Administrative Director.
Curriculum and Instruction
- Promote high-quality teaching and learning in the classroom that leads to children’s school readiness.
- Plan and establish an environment in which children develop trusting and accepting relationships with adults and peers that foster growth and development.
- Execute a developmentally appropriate and integrated curriculum which provides opportunities for children’s meaningful exploration.
Program Design, Management and Supervision
- Provide leadership and supervision for all teaching staff. Directly supervise Lead Teacher’s, Assistant Teacher’s and Teacher’s Aide’s. Leadership may be provided through the following: supporting teachers with lesson plans and curriculum implementation, scheduling in-service training, providing staff development workshops and holding parent meetings.
- Meet regularly with staff and parents.
- Serve as a positive partner with fellow CAS Directors (Community Schools, Community Centers, etc)
- Build and foster trusting partnerships with families; serve as a role model for these types of relationships for staff.
- Facilitate meetings with families when there are outstanding developmental or behavioral issues with children.
Record Maintenance, Screening and Assessment
- Monitor developmental screens and ensure all are completed within 45 days of a child’s first day of service with the program.
- Assist city, state and/or federal auditors collect data during onsite visits.
- Collaborate with the Program Director in planning, coordinating, and implementing a wide range of diverse, applicable, and creative professional development opportunities for all staff
- Participate in offered trainings, workshops, in-service days, and/or all-staff conferences.
- Maintain certification requirements and proof of attendance in professional activities.
- Support the growth of the center including participating in program-wide goal setting and individual and program self-assessment.
Health and Safety
- Adhere to all state and city licensing requirements, teacher child/ratios, and CPR/first aid certification.
- Maintain a safe and healthy environment for children, families and staff
And other related duties as assigned, at the discretion of the immediate supervisor and/or EC Division Leadership Team.
Qualifications: The Education Director must have qualifications that satisfy Federal Head Start requirements and the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Article 47 regulations.
The ideal candidate will have an advanced degree (Master’s) in Education or Child Development or a related field. New York State Certification is mandated, as well as 2-5 years teaching experience. The ideal candidate will also have at least 2 years supervisory experience.
- Experience working in early childhood classrooms (ages 2-5 years)
- Experience working with children with special needs
- Dedicated, excited and passionate about working with children and families
- Professional approach
- Resourceful & dependable
- Excellent communication and computer skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Commitment to professional development for themselves and their staff
From the Children's Aid website, navigate to "Careers", then "Define Your Search" and type in the following Job ID number;
Complete the online application. Thank you for your interest in Children's Aid. We look forward to reviewing your submission.
- Taft Early Childhood Center (Harlem)
- 1724-26 Madison Ave
- NYC 10029