Children's Aid (Harlem)
Date Posted: 09/13/2018
Salary / Wage:
Location: New York, New York
Job Type: Assistant Teacher
Position Summary: Children’s Aid, established in 1853, is one of New York City’s leading child and family service organizations. Today the Children’s Aid Early Childhood Department serves nearly 1200 low-income children ages 0-5 in schools and community centers across 14 sites throughout Manhattan and the Bronx through a combination of Universal Preschool, Head Start and Early Head Start funding and child care subsidies. The Assistant Teacher position provides direct services to children in the classroom setting and works in partnership with co-teachers and parents to provide high quality early childhood programming.
Responsibilities: Under the direct supervision of the site’s Education Director, the Assistant Teacher’s responsibilities include the following:
Curriculum and Instruction
- Assist the lead teacher in promoting high-quality teaching and learning in the classroom that leads to children’s school readiness.
- Assist the lead teacher in creating an environment in which children develop trusting and accepting relationships with adults and peers that foster growth and development.
- Assist the lead teacher in designing and executing a developmentally appropriate and integrated curriculum which provides opportunities for children’s meaningful exploration.
Record Maintenance, Screening and Assessment
- Assist the Lead Teacher in overseeing and maintaining accurate records on each child including overseeing screening and assessment tools.
- Assist the Lead Teacher in encouraging parent involvement and communication through newsletters, bulletin boards, classroom events, Center-wide activities, and “open-door” policy.
- Depending on the Center and the funding requirements, participate in home visits, Parent/Teacher conferences, Open Houses, and/or Family Days.
- Participate in offered trainings, workshops, In-Service days, and/or All-Staff conferences
- Maintain certification requirement and proof of attendance in professional activities.
- Support the growth of the center including participating in program-wide goal setting and individual and program self-assessment.
Health and Safety
- Adhere to all state and city licensing requirements, teacher child/ratios, and CPR/first aid certification.
- Maintain a healthy and safe environment for children (i.e. clean toys, shelves, neat classrooms, reported damaged / broken equipment toys, etc.)
Qualifications: The Assistant Teacher must have qualifications that satisfy Federal Head Start requirements, the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Article 47 regulations, and Universal Preschool Guidelines.
Have an Associate or Baccalaureate degree (in any area). Depending on the nature of the degree, it may be required to have a child development associate (CDA) credential or be enrolled in a CDA credential program that will be completed within 2 years, which is a condition of employment that cannot be extended;
- Bilingual preferred
- Experience working with infants and toddlers, and children with Special Needs
- Dedicated, excited and passionate about teaching and learning with young children
- Professional approach
- Resourceful & dependable
- Effective communication skills
(A review and final determination of credentials and qualifications are reserved for the site Education Director and the Children’s Aid Deputy Director of Education.)
From Children's Aid website, in "Careers", use the "Define Search" bar to type in the following Job ID number;
Complete the online application. Thank you for your interest in Children's Aid. We look forward to reviewing your submission.
- Taft Early Childhood Center (Harlem)
- 1724-26 Madison Ave (between 112th & 115th St)
- NYC 10029