Infant/Toddler Group Teacher (West Side YMCA)
YMCA of Greater New York
Date Posted: 11/03/2017
Salary / Wage: $12.60 P/H - $17.32 P/H
Location: New York, New York
Job Type: Teacher
The YMCA of Greater New York reaches half a million New Yorkers through programs that focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The West Side YMCA is seeking an experienced individual who, under the direction of the Early Childhood Director, will plan and implement developmentally appropriate curriculum that supports and encourages the social, emotional, cognitive, and physical needs of the infant/toddler students. The Infant/Toddler Group Teacher works within the framework of the program to carry out its functions, policies, and procedures; including but not limited to: student assessments, work sampling, individualized plans, and parent / family engagement.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Work with the Early Childhood Director to develop classroom centers that respond to children’s interests and are coordinated with the ongoing curriculum.
- Facilitate student assessments and work sampling.
- Guide students in their academic growth.
- Work with parents to promote understanding the growth and development of their child.
- Effectively communicate with parents, verbally and in written form, throughout the school year.
- Encourage parent participation in special events, meetings, and in-class volunteer opportunities.
- Work with the Early Childhood Director on developing effective communication strategies.
- Work as a supportive team member within the Early Childhood Learning Center and the YMCA Branch, and work closely with Assistant Teachers, Teacher Aides, Early Childhood Specialists, and Volunteers.
- Maintain a clean and safe classroom environment, by reporting and/or removing all potential hazards and by setting up spaces and materials with a focus on supporting child learning.
- Conduct fire drills and manage emergency procedures in accordance with the guidelines of the Center and the YMCA of Greater New York.
- Prepare food for children and maintain a family style setting for eating conducive to language, cognitive and social development, as well as the development of healthy habits.
- Maintain accurate program documentation; including by not limited to incident/ accident/ behavior reports, attendance sheets, sign-in/sign-out sheets, development/ growth forms; document eating and sleeping, parent surveys, etc.
- Maintain equipment, storage, and supply inventory, as needed.
- Ensure that all YMCA of Greater New York, Department of Health, and Department of Education (if applicable) guidelines are followed.
- Actively participate in designated meetings, all training sessions, and special events.
- Associate’s degree in Early Childhood Education, or a Child Development Associate certification with a study plan.
- Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working with young children in a group setting.
- Knowledge of child development and developmentally appropriate practices.
- New York State Teaching certification.
- Computer literate.
- Current CPR / First Aid certifications.
- Bilingual preferred.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity. If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Infant/Toddler Group Teacher” to WSYEarlyChildhood@ymcanyc.org or to:
West Side YMCA
Attn.: Colleen Brown
5 West 63rd Street
New York, NY 10023
New York City’s YMCA | WE’RE HERE FOR GOOD
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE