Grand Street Settlement
Date Posted: 07/27/2017
Salary / Wage: 28K-31K
Location: New York, New York
Job Type: Assistant Teacher
Early Childhood Services
Lower East Side
This position serves as an Assistant Teacher for a Grand Street Settlement Early Childhood classroom. Under the supervision of the Site Director the Assistant Teacher will work collaboratively with the teacher to ensure the successful operation of a classroom with a total of 15-20 children. The Assistant Teacher also works with a team of other classroom teachers and family members to implement the curriculum to achieve outcomes for children of all abilities.
The Assistant Teacher responsibilities chiefly fall within the following core functions, although s/he may perform other tasks as needed:
- Child Growth & Development: Implements a child-centered curriculum and learning environment that encourages positive social interaction, active engagement in learning, and self-motivation to promote development in all domains for children of all abilities.
- Planning: Responsible for collaborating with the Lead Teacher in the preparation of daily lesson plans
- Program Implementation: Provide positive guidance and discipline supporting children as they acquire readiness skills for kindergarten and beyond
- Family Partnerships: Encourage parent participation in staff-parent conferences and home visits discussing their child’s development and education
- Communication and Service Coordination: Maintain regular contact with parents and complete appropriate documentation; Direct developmental concerns to the Health, Nutrition and Disabilities Coordinator
- Record Keeping and Reporting: Request supplies as needed and participate in classroom/program inventory as requested
- On-going Monitoring and Self-Assessment: Work with teaching team to analyze child outcomes on a classroom basis twice yearly
- Complete lesson Plans, Do daily observations of children writing anecdotes, Implement and do TSG
- CDA in Early Childhood Education or AAS in Early Childhood Education; BA/BS in Early Childhood Education preferred
- Minimum two years of previous teaching experience
- Basic computer literacy in Microsoft Office and using emails
- Ability to interpret documents such as safety rules and policy and procedure manuals
- Must demonstrate timeliness, attendance and most importantly, professionalism
- CPR and First Aid certified; If not must gain within the first year of employment
Submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills & experience meet the specific components you are applying for. Also provide us with three professional references that we can contact (at least one should be from a former supervisor). Please click on the link provided below, or copy and paste link in a search engine and apply online through our career center.
No phone calls, please.
If selected for this position, applicant must obtain NYC Dept. of Health fingerprint clearance and State Central Registry (SCR) clearance (fees may apply); ability to maintain State Central Registry (SCR) clearance and fingerprint clearance throughout the duration of employment.