Lead Teacher 3yr olds
SCO Family of Services FirstStepNYC
Date Posted: 07/26/2017
Salary / Wage:
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Job Type: Teacher
FirstStepNYC @P.S./I.S. 41:
FirstStepNYC at P.S/I.S. 41 is a high quality, state of the art birth-5 early childhood center collocated at P.S./I.S.41, a K-8 elementary school in one of the most at-risk neighborhoods - Brownsville, Brooklyn. The model affords an exceptional, groundbreaking opportunity to change the life paths of New York City’s most vulnerable, at-risk children and tackle the achievement gap before it begins. This unique public-private partnership brings together the NYC Department of Education (DOE), NYC Administration for Children Services (ACS), SCO Family of Services, and a wide range of local organizations. FirstStepNYC, a demonstration project with an emphasis on both early childhood and adult leadership development, will advance citywide efforts to ensure all children enter kindergarten on a path to be college and career ready by the time they graduate our schools.
FirstStepNYC is seeking a full-time lead teacher for our 3 yr old EarlyLearn classroom. The lead teacher will be working on a teaching team with one assistant teacher and one teacher aide.
- Provide high-quality early learning program that incorporates evidence-based curriculum and instructional activities
- Provide early learning experiences in social-emotional, literacy, language, mathematics, sciences, social studies, physical education, fine arts, foreign language development, and other subject matter suited to the needs of children
- Develop and implement individual educational plans for children, which supports their development socially, intellectually, linguistically, physically, and emotionally in a manner appropriate to their age and stage of development
- Establish a developmentally appropriate classroom environment favorable to the development and personal growth of children
- Provide ongoing observation and authentic assessment of children and maintain documentation of each child's progress and growth
- Regularly meet with teaching assistant and the Master Teacher to review classroom and child data, develop action plans, and support goal achievement through active collaboration
- Collaborate with the family engagement specialist and other FirstStepNYC personnel to promote individual children's goals relating to communication skills, health habits, physical skills, development of self-awareness, and early literacy
- Work with parents directly and as a member of an interdisciplinary team; develop activities for parents that promote parent participation and involvement in education activities for their children
- Facilitate reflective supervision, as both a participant and through utilization in managing classroom staff and volunteers
- Implement all programming requirements in adherence to all performance outcome standards as prescribed by the multiple funding and model requirements
- Maintain a safe and healthy classroom environment; conduct daily health and environment checks; ensure that classroom equipment, furniture, materials, and supplies are properly maintained and stored
- Perform other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree (required) or Master’s Degree (preferred) in early childhood education or an early childhood related field
- B-2 Certification preferred
- Knowledge of principles and practices of early childhood education and family involvement
- Early childhood program and/or policy experience
- Experience with staff training, management and evaluation preferred
- Ability to utilize and provide reflective supervision
- Ability to communicate in a manner that demonstrates and fosters cooperation, respect, concern and openness to change
- Advanced command of the English language and grammar, both verbal and written
- Ability to meet deadlines, stay well organized and work under pressure. Ability to prioritize
- Experience working successfully in multi-cultural environments serving vulnerable or underserved populations
- Proficiency in multiple software applications, including most Microsoft Office products.
- Commitment to the mission and programs of SCO Family of Services
- Possess a strong belief in people’s ability to grow and change; forge a mutually respectful partnership with persons served and their families
- Team player
Interested applicants should send resume and cover letter to the program director Jenna Pettinicchi, email@example.com. While every application will be reviewed, only applicants being considered for the next step in the recruitment process will be contacted. No phone calls please.
SCO Family of Services offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package.